Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. - St. Francis of Assisi
To create a society that is free of eradicable diseases, child abuse, and women’s oppression within our working area in South India.
1. Ensure significant improvement in the status of health.
2. Protect the rights of children, particularly to provide shelter, education, training, and a life free of violence.
3. Empower women to become active members of society.
4. Provide compassionate care for the elderly.
We believe that only by focusing on several key areas simultaneously and with compassion can we create a foundation strong enough to transform the lives of those we serve. These key areas are:
- Personal and environmental health
- Education and vocational training
- Child and elder welfare
Compassion for the disadvantaged must be an integral part of the development process.
An integrated approach to development can improve the lives of tens of thousands of people — but we have no illusion that we can succeed without the support of others.
Shashi and Renate Desai